Monday, April 7, 2008

God's will

My friend Shannon has left a lot of food for thought recently about religion and what works we can each do. In saying that, I heard a story that occurred approximately 20 years ago about a child and it touched me. I thought I would pass that story along so that it may touch others (and hope that the person who told it will forgive me for telling it without their permission).

A young mother with two little boys done her best to raise them up right. She took them to church and thought that she was sheltering them from her marital troubles. Her 8 year old son figured things out and asked his dad one day about why he was leaving each night (as he was not remaining committed to the marriage). Being that this wonderful mom had raised her children up right, she just knew that this son was going to ask for the church to pray for his dad because his dad was cheating on his mom and she took him to church anyway, hoping and praying the whole way that he would not air out the family laundry but not wanting to tell him not to (as he needed to go the way that the Lord led him). This 8 year old boy went up to the front of his church and started to speak. The mom's heart fell to the floor knowing what he was about to say and then he managed to shock her (as he often did). He announced that he needed the church's prayers because he had been called to the ministry. Never did he speak about what his dad was doing; he simply followed what God led him to do. Twenty years later, that same man is now a pastor at a church because he followed that calling that God gave him at 8 years old.

I often think about the things that my kids come up with and how crazy it sounds. If I had been that mother, I would have probably not believed that at 8 years old, he had received his calling but that mom did believe in her child. How many times do we question God and what His plan is? I know that I do. That story has given me a new outlook and helped me to start looking for God in the little things in life. I hope to see a lot more of God wherever I am looking.

Sorry that today's story wasn't funny but...I'll make it up to you later.

2 comments:

Shannon Kelley said...

woooohoooo!!! love the blog!!! you little sneak, it took me a few days to find you:) I'm going to link you from mine!

Bernadette said...

so true with children...for the most part they do speak the truth...whether we want to hear it or not. a great story:)